REVISION (JAN. 15, 2014): Considering how widely viewed this post continues to be since it was first posted July 7th of last year, I guess I should put this message at the top of the post. I was thinking of changing the title of this post, but I don’t want to mess with any previous links. So let me just say, for those of you who were brought here after looking up the song from that Subaru commercial, or from the pilot episode of Red Band Society, or from the Grey’s Anatomy season 11 premier episode, the song is now called “I WILL BE THERE” and the artist simply calls herself ODESSA. It is available for purchase and download on iTunes, either as a single or as part of her 4-song self-titled E.P., which I review HERE.

Here is the post as it originally appeared when I first wrote it on July 6th 2013, and the song was still called MOUNTAINS, some of the links may no longer work.

Ever since the last episode of Mistresses, it seems like every fan online has been trying to find the song that plays during Karen’s (Yunjin Kim) last scene, as she’s writing the fake notes about Tom, saying that he was suicidal. I had someone ask me about it in the comments to my blog, so I rewatched the episode on the abc website, just so that when it got to that scene at the end I could write down the lyrics. If you ever need someone to cry to, if you ever need someone to hold you, I will be there, standing by your side. I tried typing the lyrics in google, but no matches came up. I tried asking Season Kent, the music supervisor for the show, on Twitter but she never replied. I found that ABC has a page on their website called Music Lounge, which lists the songs from each episode of Mistresses but, as of today, they still haven’t updated it to include Episode 5. I also noticed I was getting a bunch of hits on the blog from people searching for the name of that song (hence, why I’m posting this follow-up).

Well I FINALLY found it today, this singer called ODESSA ROSE. She has a page on SOUNDCLOUD with several songs, including MOUNTAINS And that’s the song!

Man, I’d been thinking about it all week. It was driving me nuts. Glad to finally have that off my mind.

It’s strange, I can’t find much about Odessa Rose online. No website, or blog. The Soundcloud page says she’s from Nashville. I found this photoshoot by Laura Dart of Dart Photographie from March 12 of this year, which says she’s about to release her long awaited debut album, but I can’t find any info on that album. Further online investigating shows her full name is Odessa Rose Jorgensen and she is on Facebook, but it’s just a regular profile page, not a Fan Page, plus a Twitter profile that she doesn’t seem to use much. There’s some videos on Youtube of her performing other songs, but I can’t find one of her performing MOUNTAINS yet.

Well, with all the publicity she should get from Mistresses, I’d guess that it’s just a matter of time before we hear a lot more about her.

Edited to Add: Here’s some more links I found about Odessa-

Ourvinyl.com/Odessa-rose

Myspace.com/odessarosemusic

Lastfm/music/Odessa+rose

cargocollective.com/dabneymorris/ODESSA-ROSE-JORGENSEN

Daily Discovery: Odessa Rose, “Hummed Low”

UPDATE 1/13/14: According to my 2013 annual WordPress report this post is my most-viewed entry of 2013, and continues to get new hits daily (5 hits today, so far). This did surprise me, seeing this song so popular 6 months later, months after Mistresses’ 1st season ended. Well, it’s about 6:40am as I type this, I woke up and while still in bed I turned on the TV and was watching a rerun of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and I just saw a Subaru commercial featuring this song! So that explains why the interest in this song is still so high. As far as I can tell it’s still not officially released, so people must be hearing it in the commercial and then trying to look it up online, just like fans of the Mistresses did after we heard it on that show. So to all you new readers who have been brought to this post via google searches, yes, this IS the song you were looking for.

I tried to find the commercial on Youtube, but couldn’t yet (& I’m about to leave for work now). For whatever reason, Odessa still doesn’t seem to be doing much promotion for herself. I found a website she has, http://www.thisisodessa.com/, which is pretty bare right now, and links to a Facebook Fan Page, which doesn’t look like it’s been updated since Sept. 2012, and a new Twitter profile, which has never been used. But she seems to be active on Instagram. Maybe all you new fans should hit her up online, and let her know how much you like her song and would love to buy it?

UPDATE 1/14/14: Thanks to a person on Youtube, I found out that this song has been renamed “I Will Be There” and is actually available on iTunes! Looks like the old Soundcloud page has been shut down, and she’s simply going by the name Odessa now. Hopefully this is just the start of more new music to come from her.

37 comments for ““MOUNTAINS” by Odessa Rose (aka That song from Karen’s last scene on “Mistresses” episode 5)

1. Jason Riley
    July 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM

It was a simple, but nice song.

2. Emma
    July 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Odessa is my cousin. :) She was raised in Santa Rosa, CA. Her Instagram is @odessarosebud

3. Brenda Davis
    July 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I think she should publish the song I have been trying to buy it for days

• July 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Hello Brenda. I agree with you, I can tell from all the hits this post has been getting since I wrote it, most coming from search engines as people look up the lyrics and the title, that there is a LOT of interest in this song. If it were available on iTunes I think it would be a hit by now. Odessa should take advantage of this situation now, while the curiosity is still high.

4. Rho
    July 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Yeah i would definitely buy it if it was on itunes or amazon mp3. Hopefully her album has the song Mountains on it, its so beautiful.

• July 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Hello, Rho. I actually sent Odessa a private message through Facebook on Wednesday, I told her about how so many fans of the show had been obsessed with finding the name to this song right after Episode 5, and how this post is still getting about two dozen hits every day since I published it, and suggested that she really needs to do more to capitalize on this promotion, at least get on Twitter and interact with the cast, writers, and fans of Mistresses. But I haven’t heard back from her (since we’re not friends on FB, she may not have seen the message yet). It seems like such a wasted opportunity for her to sell her music, with the popularity of the show.

5. Christina
    August 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Has anyone heard anything new about this song/artist. I really want to buy her album.

• August 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Hello, Christina. Still nothing, I’m afraid. And I really don’t understand it. As you can see by checking out “Top posts and pages” on the right, this post is STILL my most-viewed entry, over a month later. I keep seeing the hits coming from Google searches about her and this song. Clearly, the interest is high, but Odessa hasn’t done anything that I can see to take advantage of it. Her Twitter is still blank (she’s not following anyone, doesn’t have a profile picture on it, and hasn’t tweeted since July 3), and still nowhere to actually purchase this song.

6. September 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

try this link. hope it helps. :-)

@iammaatsuda0870

7. Michelle Zong
    January 14, 2014 at 12:02 AM

hi, did anybody knows about the theme music in the end of each episode? the end motage music….
    thanks

8. Michelle Zong
    January 14, 2014 at 12:10 AM

hi, do you know the song in episode 8 that April tore up the check, kick Paul and Miranda out of her store and turn the open sign up?
    i find anther link: http://www.tunefind.com/show/mistresses-us/season-1
    thanks

• January 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Hello Michelle. I tried looking, but couldn’t find any info on those songs yet. I think the best bet now is to wait for the first season to be released on DVD (it will probably happen when the 2nd season starts) and then you’ll be able to check the credits to find the name of that song, and the theme music.

9. Michelle Zong
    January 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM

oh, thanks a lot. i will keep an eye on those music…
    nice day!

10. Uma
    January 23, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Odessa. The divine miss Odessa.
    I know Odessa and have for some time. Such a beautiful, talented and gracious girl.
    She recently moved from Nashville TO
    California, unlike the rest of THE WORLD..
    Not only is Odessa a tall and lanky model, latest is with Frye boots (a large ad is in the Subway in NYC) she is also an accomplished fiddler and toured with Edward Sharp and the magnetic zeros…..she also might be seen performing with Mumford and Sons and more Along with numerous other not as known, so far, acts.
    Odessa prefers to fly just a tad below the radar. I told her, before she left, she’s getting ready to be hugely famous. I sensed she actually already knew it and was positioning herself very wisely with it but not for it. She’ll never be a sell out. It’s just not her …. she graces complete authenticity.

She recently cut her hair off and it took her to new heights of incredible beauty. And she probably weighs 105 lbs, on a heavy day, and about 5’10”.
    She belongs on a runway but doesn’t care for the falseness.

Whether she likes it or not, Odessa can’t help but be star worthy and it seems inevitable and we that know her know it……..she’ll just have to learn to take it in her very long legged stride. 🌺

Instagram @Odessarosebud
    iTunes her tunes.

11. February 7, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Simply Fab! I saw the Subaru commercial. I wouldn’t be caught dead watching “Mistresses!”

12. DLM
    February 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM

The Subaru commercial sent me searching on the internet. I found the video on youtube. However, I wanted to know more about her and that got me here. The song is beautiful!!!!

• February 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Glad I could provide a little bit of info for you. Thanks for reading.

13. Andrea
    March 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Beautiful

Liked by 1 person

14. Joanna Simmons
    April 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I have also done some research on her after hearing the commercial. I came to find out she was also performing in a band called Bearfoot. You can see a list of songs here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bearfoot
    She has an incredible voice that seems to go straight to the heart and soul. Her voice is magical. I can’t wait until I get to hear more from Odessa.

Liked by 1 person

• April 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM

That’s pretty cool. Thanks for the info and link, Joanna!

15. June 30, 2014 at 4:05 AM

hey…I’m tryna find the song that was played in the background of joss and alex rendezvous in the shower…. can you tell me which song is it? …it goes a little like I am waiting

season 1 episode 5

• June 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Howdy Shamal!

That song you’re looking for is “Lay Your Cards Out” by Polica

16. Rachel
    September 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I’ve known Odessa and her family for years now. She is hugely talented but like you’ve heard and guessed, she flies under the radar and we all respect her privacy. Anyway, hopefully you know by know that her EP is out (featuring this song) and she is currently touring. Her sister Nora, by the way, is equally gorgeous and the main model for the luxury hoodie company called Evy’s Tree, based in their hometown of Santa Rosa CA. Odessa comes from a family full of musicians and singers.

Liked by 1 person

17. Rose
    September 26, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Grey’s Anatomy S11E1

Liked by 1 person

• September 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Yes, I heard that it played on the latest episode of Grey’s Anatomy. Probably another reason why this post keeps getting new hits from web-searches.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,255 other followers