THE OBAMESSIAH COMPLEX

This blog was partially inspired by some other recent blogs
that I have read.

MULATTO OF THE MONTH

AN HISTORIC INAUGURATION…NOW WHAT?

OBAMA IS MY ACE, BUT, SERIOUSLY, GET OFF THE MAN’S DICK

I’ve always found the constant cries of “messiah,”
“celebrity,” “savior,” etc. to be both amusing and
annoying. First, it’s insulting in that it implies that
everyone who voted for him was just stupid. We
didn’t know what we were doing, didn’t really think
about it, we just heard some nice speeches and
said “Yep, he’s the one!” Like it was an American
Idol contest or something.

And it was amusing how the opposition tried to act
as if the fact that he could draw huge crowds,
throughout this country and foreign countries, was a
bad thing. Being an inspiring figure is not good, for
some reason. How dare he fill out an entire football
stadium for his acceptance speech? One pundit
actually pointed out that “Hitler used to draw huge crowds
too.”

It was classic jealousy, really. With all due respect to
Sen. McCain, whom I admire (& voted for in 2000 primaries),
he wished he could get that many people to come hear
him speak. But the reaction reminded me of a teenage girl
who didn’t get asked to the school dance. So she sits home
crying, and saying “Well, I didn’t want to go to that stupid
party, anyway!”

Right, keep telling yourself that, sweetie, if it makes you
feel better.

Then there’s the ironic fact that once Gov. Palin joined the
ticket, she was immediately treated like a celebrity, by the
Republicans, despite the fact that they didn’t know anything
about her, other than that she was “hot” and had a
bunch of cute little kiddies.

I heard Rush Limbaugh the day after her RNC speech,
gushing about her. It sounded like he was broadcasting
with one hand down his pants.

Nevertheless, that’s all over now, and the real work
begins. Which brings me to the point of this blog.

Now what?

For those reading this whom are old enough to remember
back in the late 1980’s/early 90’s, I was one of those young
Black teenagers that you used to see walking around in a
Malcolm X t-shirt, and caps, and X’s or African medallions
around their necks. But the thing is, unlike many, if not most,
of those young men, it wasn’t just a trendy fashion statement
for me. I really admired the man, and made it a point to learn
as much about him as I could. I must’ve read over a dozen
books about him, & bought video & audio tapes of his speeches
& interviews. When the Spike Lee movie came out, I took
my (White) girlfriend to see it on opening weekend. I had some
friends who smoked weed, and drank alcohol, but I never
touched the stuff, because Malcolm X preached against that.

I’d like to see that attitude regarding Pres. Obama. If you
say that he inspires you, prove it. Turn that adulation into
motivation. To the young Black men who say that he gives
them hope for their future, it’s not enough to just put on a
T-shirt with his picture, or the phrase “My President is Black”
on it. If you’re still wearing baggy pants with your underwear
showing, then don’t even bother wearing the t-shirt. You think
Pres. Obama is “cool,” well, notice how he’s highly educated,
and speaks proper English? Try it, sometime. Put down the malt
liquor & chicken wings, and pick up some books. Y’know what
I’m sayin?

There are rappers with songs out now about Pres. Obama.
That’s nice, but what about your next song? If it’s just going
to be the same “money/guns/b****es” crap that
you were rapping about before, then that was a waste of
time.

In one of the above blogs, there’s an article talking about
how many Blacks like that the Obama’s are an image of a
positive Black family.

You want to see more positive Black families? Then create
one! Let’s stop accepting the “Baby Mama/Baby
Daddy”
dynamic as normal. Yes, those Special Edition
Commemorative Plates with Pres. Obama’s face on them would
look very nice on your table, but how about saving that money
to spend on an engagement ring, or pay for a
wedding, instead?

And can we finally disown the N-Word, once & for all?
Just stop using it, no matter what color you are, under
ANY circumstances. Please.

And I know this is coming of very Black-centered, but this
applies to everyone else, too. It wasn’t just Black folks that
put in him in office. He’s talked about encouraging a new spirit
of public service, and got huge applause for it. Well, all of y’all
who cheered for him, did you really mean it? He’s just one
man, he can’t do it all by himself. As he said, “WE are the change
we’ve been waiting for.

This was one of the most expensive Presidential campaigns in history. Pres. Obama himself raised almost $750 million dollars. Think about
that. To all of the people who gave him money (not to mention the millions who gave to Senators McCain and Clinton during the year), I’m sure there are schools, parks, hospitals/free clinics, community centers, and other places in your own neighborhood that could
also use some money. How about donating some money and/or
time to them?

In the immortal words of Michael Jackson “If you want to
make the world a better place, take a look @ yourself, and
then make a CHANGE.”

25 comments for “THE OBAMESSIAH COMPLEX

1. Luthor
    January 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Excellent blog! Well-said, man! The merchandising thing, in particular, has been bugging me. The man is a politician, not a sports mascot.

2. January 25, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Yes, I’ve got some t-shirts, and I’ve bought the comics with his picture on them, and I’m even thinking of getting an Obama bobble-head, but some of this stuff is really getting out of hand.

3. January 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

damn, now I can’t can’t stop picturing Rush Limbaugh with his hand down his pants! Thanks a lot.

4. January 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM

And my work here is done.

*Takes a bow*

5. January 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM

RUSH LIMBAUGH IS A BIG FAT IDIOT.

6. January 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM

That he is.

7. January 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Nice. You’ve clearly put a lot of thought into this blog. I can’t disagree with anything you’ve written.

8. January 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Ditto to everything that was written. Especially about how John McCain could NEVER look that damned cool!

9. January 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Thanks, y’all!

10. January 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM

All of that messiah/celebrity stuff was just, like you said, silly jealousy from Republicans. Hey, neocons, it’s not OUR fault that you guys picked a boring old man, that nobody gave a damn about. And then you all tried to fool women into supporting you by picking a woman with NO qualifications to run, and thought we’d all just vote for her because we couldn’t have Hillary, but that it turned out that the woman you picked was a MORON, and everyone could see that. So the better man won.

Yes. We. Did.!

11. January 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Well, I’m in the Coast Guard, so I’m doing my part! And I didn’t vote for Obama just because he’s charismatic or whatever, nor do I think he’s a messiah. But I do think he’s a once in a lifetime figure, especially for a politician. If he can get at least half of what he wants to get done, it will be worth it!

12. January 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Hell, my vote was as much a vote against Bush as it was for Obama.

13. January 26, 2009 at 1:15 AM

^^
    I’d bet a lot of the Obama voters started off as mostly being “anti-Bush” and wanting to punish the Republicans. That’s how I feel. My first choice was Hillary, but Obama is a good man, and I think he’ll be a good President.

14. OMAR
    January 26, 2009 at 4:34 PM

This is all very true. Too many people get caught up in the symbolism of what it means to have a black president, but they don’t really act on it. Dont’ sit around waiting for any president, no matter who he is, to make your left better. Go out and do it yourself.

15. January 26, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Even moreso than all the talk of him being a messiah, I’m annoyed by the idea that they say that all Black people voted for him just because he’s Black. As if Clarence Thomas had run instead of Barack Obama we would have all voted for him too.

16. Kimberly
    January 26, 2009 at 4:52 PM

The second picture you have posted of Barack in his ray bans has been my desktop picture for a while now. Cool is an understatement! The man rocks.

I also agree about the N word. Geez, its so unattractive on every level. No matter who says it.

Woo, I am still on high…

17. January 26, 2009 at 10:28 PM

@ COMPLEX SHAUN: That annoys me too. Sure, I’ve always wanted to see a Black President (my first hope was Colin Powell in 96), so for me, that’s a bonus. I wouldn’t have voted just for any old Black person, neither would most Blacks. Most voted for Obama, but as much due to the fact that he’s a Democrat, since Blacks have tended to vote over 90% Democrat for the past few decades. But, most recently, TWO Blacks ran for President in 2000, Al Sharpton & Carol Mosely Braun, and neither of them got anywhere near the support that Pres. Obama did.

@ KIMBERLY: Though it’s never been a part of my regular vocabulary, I have used that word in my life. And l’ve defended the “double standard” of how it’s okay for certain people to use it in a certain context, but not others. And, of course, I’ve laughed @ things like when Chris Rock jokes about “Black People vs. N***as”. But now I’m really feeling like this is a new era. The Obama Age. It’s time to just let that word go.

18. Aisha Boyd
    January 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I know that Obama can’t fix everything, and certainly not quickly. But I’d rather have a President who trys and fails to accomplish everything he wants, than one who succeeds in accomplishing things that I don’t want. That’s why I voted for Obama over Mcain, not just because he’s black, or because I worship him.

19. January 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM

This is the first post of yours I’ve read, and it is outstanding. Well said. I particularly liked the bit about kids recognising that Obama has achieved so much because he is educated, has worked hard, etc. He didn’t win the Presidency because the USA woke up one day and decided that it would be nice to see some racial diversity in the White House. He won because he was QUALIFIED, by being smart and engaged.

20. J.R. LeMar
    January 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Thanks Jacq!

21. January 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Great post. I feel like I should have some comment, but you said it all.

THANK YOU for saying it. I think it’s not just black people that should be inspired to change, but everyone in this damned country.

22. February 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Very profound blog. It is very important that we don’t get lost in they symbolism of President Obama’s candidacy at the expense of the real work that needs to be done to fix this great nation of ours. I believe he is a great man, and a very inspiring figure, but that is all for naught if we don’t follow his example.

23. February 7, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Excellent blog! 100% agree.

24. February 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Love the pic of Obama in shades. He IS cool.

25. February 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM

This is an awesome article, I’ll be adding you to my list.